Egg stew originating from the state of Kerala is a delicious coconut milk based gravy usually served with idiyappam or appam. Egg stew is mildly spicy gravy with richness of coconut milk is very easy to prepare and also requires few basic ingredients for its making yet results in lip smacking gravy. For the below recipe i used store bought coconut milk which can be replaced with fresh coconut milk yielding in more taste . So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Egg – 2
- Coconut milk – 1 ½ cup or 1 can
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger chopped – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Dried red chilli – 2
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make egg stew with step by step images
- In a pot add water and gently place the eggs in it. Allow it to boil well and cook the eggs. When the eggs look cooked drain the water. When the eggs are warm enough to handle, crack the eggs on the counter top and peel the eggs and keep it aside.
- Slice onions thin, make a slit in green chilli, chop ginger and tomato finely.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, when it splutters add dried red chilli, curry leaves, chopped ginger and chopped onions. Saute well.
- Now add chopped tomato, salt and turmeric. Saute well and allow the tomatoes to get cooked.
- When the tomatoes look cooked add boiled eggs and saute for a few seconds.Now turn the flame to low and add coconut milk. Mix well and put off the flame after one boil. Do not boil it for longer time as it will curdle. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot with appam or idiyappam.