Agar Agar known as China grass in India is a dried crispy vegetable gelatin used for making pudding, jelly and custards. China grass pudding has glossy appearance and feels like jelly. China grass is prepared by adding melted agar agar mixture in boiled sweet milk then allowing it to set and then served after refrigerating. I made this pudding today for my anniversary as I was reminded of my family as this recipe has been in practice in my family since ages and this pudding is a must in our family during any special occasion. This pudding is easy to make with handful ingredients in its making. This pudding feels like jelly and will be adored by both kids and adults. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Agar agar – 7 grams / ¾ bar
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Chopped Cashews – 7 (for garnish)
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make china grass pudding with step by step images
- Make agar agar into pieces and soak in 1 ½ cup water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil milk in pan and add sugar to it and set aside.
- Now boil the agar agar along with soaked water. Put off the flame after the agar agar has melted completely. (The water look clear).
- Now add this mixture to the milk using a strainer. Allow the milk to boil for a minute and put off the flame.
- Now transfer the milk mixture to bowl, tray or mold and keep it undisturbed.
- When the milk starts to cool down it will start to set. Now garnish with chopped cashews and refrigerate it for an hour.( In the above picture the cashew stays on top as the mixture has set in room temperature).
- After an hour run a knife and serve the pudding immediately chilled.