Kadala curry is an appetizing Keralite dish that is served with puttu for breakfast. The original gravy is made with coconut but I usually make this curry without using coconut as I like it that way. I replaced coconut by grinding some black Channa into paste and add it to the curry to thicken it so it does not loose its consistency. So lets get to the recipe.
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Black channa /kadala – 1 cup
- Medium sized onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a spring
ingredients For grinding
- Black channa/kadala – 1/4 cup
- Chopped onion cubes – 1/4 cup
- Chopped tomato cubes -1/4 cup
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make kadala curry with step by step images
- Soak black Channa /kadala overnight and cook for 3 whistles. Chop onions, tomato and make slit in the center of green chili.
- In a blender add ¼th cup boiled black Channa , few chopped onion cubes and tomato. Grind it into a thick paste.
- Now heat oil in a wok add mustard seeds after it splutters add curry leaves and onions. Saute it well and add ginger garlic paste. Again saute till the raw smell goes.
- Now add tomatoes and all the dry powders and saute till the tomatoes get mushy.
- Now add the ground mixture to it and combine everything together.
- Now add boiled black Channa and mix it well. Then add water to it and allow it to boil and when it reaches desired consistency put off the flame. ( I used the water with which i boiled Channa).
- Serve it hot with puttu!