Tomato dosa/ Thakkali dosa is a bright colored crispy and delicious Indian crepe made by grinding soaked rice, tomatoes and few basic spices to a batter and then made into dosa. Tomato dosa is super easy to prepare unlike regular dosa as the batter needs no fermentation and soaking hours is also cut down to 3 – 4 hours making it a hassle free and quick process to get to these delicious dosa. Tomato dosa with mild spiciness, tanginess loaded with flavors is a sure variation from regular dosa both in color and taste and is usually accompanied with sambar and chutney. So if you are looking for a quick and easy dosa recipe to break the boredom try making this dosa. So lets get to the making!
- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Tomato – 4
- Water – 1/2 cup (approx. for grinding)
- Coriander seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red chili – 2 to 3
- Jaggery – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil – to make dosa
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make tomato dosa with step by step images
- Wash and soak rice in water for 3 – 4 hours. Chop tomatoes roughly and keep it aside.
- In a blender add soaked rice, chopped tomatoes, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chili, salt and jaggery. Grind it into a smooth batter adding very little water while grinding. (I used only 1/4 cup water while grinding) The batter should be little thick and in running consistency.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and it is good to use right away or can be used used after resting time of 1 to 2 hours. In the 3rd picture you can check the consistency of the batter.
- Now heat a tava and pour a ladle of batter and spread it like regular dosa and drizzle some oil around it. Allow it to cook in medium flame as the tomatoes used for the batter is raw. When sides brown flip it to the other side and let it cook. When done transfer it to a plate and serve it hot with chutney and sambar.