White vegetable kurma/ White Korma is a very very flavorful and delicious South Indian gravy prepared by cooking veggies in coconut cashew based gravy. White kurma derives its from the dish color and according to its name it is different in taste from regular kurma also and is much more simpler in the making. Do not panic looking at the ingredients list as the result will be lip smacking one. White kurma can be accompanied with wide variety of dishes like chapati, idli , dosa, idiyappam, rice, parotta, puri but most importantly tastes best with appam. So you know that my next post will be appam of course in a simpler version and beginner friendly recipe. So lets get to the making of white vegetable kurma!
- Onion – 1
- Beans- 10
- Carrot – 1 (small)
- Potato – 1
- Fresh or Frozen peas – ¼ cup
- Cauliflower florets – 5 (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Salt – to taste
- Oil- 2 tsp
Ingredients For grinding
- Coconut grated/ pieces – ¼ cup
- Cashews- 6
- Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
- Green chilli – 1 to 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make white kurma with step by step images
- In a blender add coconut, cashew nuts, cumin seeds and green chilli. Grind it into a fine paste adding little water. Keep the ground mixture aside.
- Chop the carrot, beans, onion and potato into cubes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add whole spices when aromatic add chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute well and add ginger garlic paste to it. Saute well till the the raw flavor of ginger garlic paste goes.
- Now add chopped veggies, green peas and salt. Saute well in oil for a minute or 2. When the veggies look sauteed add 1 cup water to it and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook in medium flame till veggies turn soft. (This should take about 12 minutes)
- When veggies look cooked add the ground coconut paste and mix well. Add little water to get kurma consistency. Mix well and allow it to boil for 2 to 3 minutes till all the raw flavors go. When the raw smell has gone and when desired consistency has reached put off the flame and serve it with appam or any dish of your choice!