This is my handy recipe for those days when I don’t have dosa batter at home but still wish to eat dosa similar to the regular kal dosa. This is one of my favorite dosa and i love it for its soft and spongy texture. I usually make this dosa when I make chicken kuzhambu or palak papu and tastes absolutely fantastic with both. So lets get started.
- Rice – 2 cups
- Aval/ poha – 1 cup
- Urad dal fistful
- Curd – 3/4th cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
How to make aval dosa with step by step images
- In a bowl add rice, aval/poha and urad dal.
- Wash rice , poha and urad dal together. Now take ¾ th cup curd and mix it with 3 cups of water to make buttermilk. Soak all the three in buttermilk for 4 hours.
- Now grind all the soaked items along with salt in a blender/mixie. The batter should be thick not watery. Now add baking soda to the batter and let it ferment for 6 hours. ( Adding baking soda makes dosa spongy and fluffy)
- Heat a tava and pour a ladle full batter and drizzle oil. Dosa should look like kal dosa. When u see holes on the dosa you can flip it to cook other side and remove from heat once done ( U can also steam dosa by covering it with lid without flipping but I feel that flipping dosa gives best results).
- Serve it hot with chicken kuzhambu or gravy of your choice.