Brinjal rice is an excellent spicy, tangy and masala flavored rice. It is easy to make and is one of my favorite brinjal recipes. I prepared this brinjal rice with my homegrown brinjal that we harvested today and i wanted to cook this recipe with it. This recipe requires grinding of spices and at the end when you taste this rice it will be worth doing so much work! So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Brinjal – 10
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves spring
- Salt as needed
- Tamarind small gooseberry size
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – ¾ tbsp
- Red chili – 3
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – ½ tbsp
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make brinjal rice with step by step images
- Dry roast channa dal, urad dal, red chili, cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Allow it to cool down and grind in blender into fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract thick tamarind juice from it. Chop onions and brinjal into cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai / wok and add mustard seeds after it splutters add urad dal after it turns golden brown add curry leaves and chopped onions in it and saute well. Then add brinjal, turmeric powder and salt to it; Mix well and add ground dal powder to it and mix everything well.
- Now add tamarind extract to it and allow it to boil and let the brinjal get cooked. Once done the gravy will thicken and oil will separate to the sides of the kadai. Put off the flame and add sugar in it to enhance its taste even more. But this step is optional.
- Now take cooked white rice in a bowl and add required amount of brinjal gravy and mix well. Serve it hot!