Kathirikkai pulikachal is a spicy and tangy recipe prepared by sauteing brinjal in spice powder and then cooked in thick tamarind extract. This recipe is my favorite dish as it is age old recipe from my great grand mother. This puli kachal can be used as side accompany for idli and dosa or can be mixed in hot rice and served as brinjal rice.
- Brinjal – 10
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves spring
- Salt as needed
- Tamarind small gooseberry size
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – ¾ tbsp
- Red chili – 3
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – ½ tbsp
How to make brinjal rice with step by step images
- Dry roast channa dal, urad dal, red chili, cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Allow it to cool down and grind in blender into fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract thick tamarind juice from it. Chop onions and brinjal into cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai / wok and add mustard seeds after it splutters add urad dal after it turns golden brown add curry leaves and chopped onions in it and saute well. Then add brinjal, turmeric powder and salt to it; Mix well and add ground dal powder to it and mix everything well.
- Now add tamarind extract to it and allow it to boil and let the brinjal get cooked. Once done the gravy will thicken and oil will separate to the sides of the kadai. Put off the flame and add sugar in it to enhance its taste even more. But this step is optional.