Tomato rice/ Thakkali sadam is a very flavorful and yummy rice prepared by tossing cooked rice in thick and spicy onion tomato gravy. This simple and easy rice recipe requires few basic ingredients from the pantry and can be prepared in no time either with freshly cooked rice or even with leftover rice to turn it delicious. For the below recipe you can add tempering using mustard seeds and urad dal as well which I don’t add to my recipe usually. Try making this quick and hassle free recipe any day when you want to do simple yummy one pot meal. Below is the making video of tomato rice to make it easy. So lets get to the making!
Tomato rice making video
- Cooked rice – 1 ½ cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2 (Big sized)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 4
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp ( for garnish)
How to make tomato rice with step by step images
- Heat oil in a pan add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute well.
- Now add green chilli and saute again.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes.
- Now add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix well and allow the tomatoes to get cooked. We want the tomatoes to be soft and not too mushy. When the tomatoes look cooked and the mixture looks thick in consistency put off the flame.
- Now add cooked rice and mix well. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot!