Aloo bonda/ Batata vada is a stuffed fried snack prepared by dipping potato mixture in besan batter, which is then deep fried and served along with chutney. This aloo bonda/ batata vada has a crisp exterior and soft interior making it a relishable one. This simple and easy to make fritters can be made at home with those everyday ingredients present in the pantry without any hassle also serving as beginner friendly recipe. So lets get to the making!
- Potato/ Aloo- 1 (Big sized, boiled and peeled)
- Onion- ¼ cup (chopped)
- Green chilli- 1( chopped)
- Salt- to taste
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- a spring
- Oil- for frying
Ingredients For batter
- Besan/ Chickpea flour/ Kadalai mavu- 1 cup
- Rice flour- ¼ cup
- Baking soda- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Water- ¾ cup approx. (to make thick batter)
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make aloo bonda with step by step images
- In a bowl add the boiled potato, mash it using a masher and keep it aside. (Do not mash it too much as we need it chunky)
- Heat oil in a pan add add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin seeds when crackles add the onion, green chilli and curry leaves. Saute well then add salt and turmeric powder. Saute for few seconds and add mashed potatoes. Mix well until well incorporated. When everything looks combined put off the flame and keep it aside and allow it to cool down.
- Meanwhile in a wide bowl add besan, rice flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Now add water gradually to form a thick flowing batter.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. The batter should have consistency as shown in the first picture of the collage. Now when the potato mixture is warm to handle take small portion and roll it into a ball. Dip the ball in the batter and coat it well. I usually use a spoon as it keeps the shape intact.
- Now gently drop the batter coated ball in oil and fry in medium to flame until golden brown. Repeat the whole process till all the batter and potato mixture is complete. Transfer the fried aloo bonda to a plate with paper towel and serve it hot with chutney of your choice!