Vella seedai is a fried sweet recipe prepared by shaping small portion of dough into ball and then dropping it in hot oil. The key ingredients in this recipe is rice flour and jaggery which creates crunchy munchy seedai. This seedai is prepared during south indian festivals like gokulastami and can be prepared in another version called uppu seedai. So lets get to the making!
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Urad dal flour – 2 tsp
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Melted Butter – 1 tbsp
- Coconut grated – 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil for frying
How to make vella seedai with step by step images
- Dry roast urad dal in a pan until aromatic and allow it to cool down. Grind it into fine powder in a blender. Now dry roast rice flour in pan for a minute and allow it to cool down. Make sure not to burn.
- Heat water in a pan and add jaggery in it and mix well. Put off the flame once the jaggery dissolves and allow it to cool down. ( I used ¾ cup water to melt ¾ cup jaggery and may not use all tha jaggery water in the making).
- Take a bowl add roasted rice flour, urad dal flour, melted butter, grated coconut and sesame seeds. Mix everything well and add jaggery water gradually in it to form a soft dough.
- Now pinch a small portion of dough and roll it into a small ball with both your palms and repeat the process. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and slide the rolled balls one by one and cook in low to medium flame.
- As soon as you drop them in oil you will see the oil bubbling then when it is done the bubbling will subside.
- Cook until it gets deep brown in color only then you can obtain crunchy seedai. Now transfer it to a plate with paper towel to drain excess oil.