Badam kheer is a thick creamy and delicious Indian dessert prepared with badam/ almond and milk with flavors of saffron and cardamom to make any occasion or festival special. Badam kheer is one such quick and easy dessert that can be prepared with handful ingredients and also without involving much work making it beginner friendly recipe. Badam kheer is one of my favorite dessert as it is usually served chill and also involves very less sugar. So lets get to the making!
HAPPY TAMIL NEW YEAR TO ALL!
- Badam/ Almonds- 15
- Milk- 2 cups + 4 tbsp (grinding)
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Sugar- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Saffron strand– few
- Silvered almonds – 1 tsp (for garnish)
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Badam kheer with step by step images
- In a bowl of warm water soak badam/ almond for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes drain the water and remove the skin from each almond.
- Now in a blender add the badam/ almonds and grind it into paste adding little milk. I used around 4 tbsp milk while grinding. Now keep this paste aside.
- In a small bowl add 2 tbsp warm milk, to it add saffron strands. Mix and dissolve the saffron strands after which milk will change color to mild yellow. Keep this mixture aside.
- In a pan/ pot add 1/3 cup water first then add 2 cups of milk. This way milk will not get burnt in the bottom. Mix well and allow it to boil. When the milk is boiling add the saffron milk mixture and boil it in medium flame.
- Now add sugar and almond/ badam paste to the milk and give it a good stir.
- Now add cardamom powder and mix well. Allow the milk to boil well in medium flame for about 5 minutes and the milk will change to light yellow color with nice aroma and consistency. Put off the flame and allow it to cool down after which refrigerate for 1 hour and serve it chilled with saffron and silvered almonds as garnish!