Quinoa pronounced (kinwa) is a naturally gluten free grain that is rich in protein with all essential amino acids and has very high fiber compared to any other grain, also high in minerals like magnesium and iron. This super healthy grain can be incorporated in our diet in most simplest and tastiest method and can be relished like any other food prepared in regular cooking.
Quinoa idli is super soft and fluffy idli that is prepared by grinding batter using 3 main ingredients quinoa, rice and urad dal. This recipe does not require soaking of all 3 separately as I have made the recipe very simple by soaking all the 3 ingredients together then grind it together as well and yet results in perfect batter and idli with good fermentation. this batter can be used for various preparations like idli, uttapam, dosa and paniyaram which i will post in the blog in coming weeks. So without much wait lets quickly get to the recipe and making!
- Quinoa- 1 cup
- Idli rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – ½ cup
- Water – 2 cups (for grinding)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for greasing plates
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Quinoa Idli with step by step images
- In a bowl add urad dal, idli rice and quinoa together. Wash 3 to 4 times until you see clear water. Soak it in enough water for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, in a wet grinder add little quantity of the soaked urad dal, idli rice and quinoa. Switch on the grinder, when it starts grinding gradually add little by little of all the soaked items. Grind the mixture into a smooth and thick batter adding water in regular intervals when needed. I used 2 cups (with the same cup i used for measuring rice, quinoa and urad dal) of water for grinding but it may vary according the soaking time. But the measurement is just a guideline to get a perfect batter.
- Also scrap the inner sides of the grinder often to get rid of coarse rice mixture using the scrapper provided along with grinder.
- When done grinding transfer the mixture to a bowl, add required amount of salt and mix well. the batter should be in flowing consistency.Allow the batter to ferment for 8 to 10 hours. I usually grind batter in the evening and allow it ferment overnight and use it for next day breakfast.
- In the morning mix the batter well using a ladle before making idli. The fermented batter will look just as shown in the above pic and to make perfect fluffy idli that is the consistency.
- In the morning heat water in idli pot. Grease idli plates with few drops of oil. Pour ladle of batter in each idli mold and place the batter filled idli plates in the idli steamer and team it for 12 minutes.
- When done remove the idli plate from the steamer and keep it aside for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes wet a spoon with little water (wetting the spoon with water helps in and scoop idli from the idli plate) and scoop the idli from idli plate and serve it hot with chutney/sambar of your choice!