Flax seed/ Flax seeds considered as one of the top most healthiest food, hence needs to be incorporated in our diet in some or the other form.
So I got to know about the goodness of flax seeds through my mom, the one who keeps learning, trying and experiments combos and new stuffs in cooking, so by now u must have got to know that this recipe is from my mom and finally made this podi/ chutney powder 2 days back and my family loved it. this chutney podi is supposed to be served with idli/ dosa but it can be mixed in hot rice too with few drizzles of oil/ ghee and can be enjoyed. But it is again according to individual preferences. As always this podi is super easy to prepare, yes just dry roast everything together, grind it and use it whenever needed by storing them in air tight container. Do not hesitate to try this beginner friendly recipe for your next breakfast. So lets get to the making!
- Flax seed/ Flax seeds – ½ cup
- Channa dal – ¼ cup
- Whole white urad dal – ¼ cup
- Dried red chilli – 4
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 to 10
- Salt – to taste
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make flax seed idli podi with step by step images
- Heat a pan, add flax seed, channa dal, urad dal, dried red chilli, curry leaves and cumin seeds. Dry roast in medium flame until aromatic and golden brown. So while you are roasting, the flax seed will splutter around, so stay little far, also make sure to not brown the ingredients as it will yield in bitter taste. So the roasting should take around 5 minutes. When everything looks roasted put off the flame and transfer the ingredients to a plate for it to cool down.
- When it has cooled down transfer the roasted ingredients in a blender and add salt. Grind it into powder. When done transfer it to air tight container and use it when needed using dry spoon.
- Roast the ingredients in medium flame, till aromatic and golden brown. If you need more spiciness increase the number of dried red chilli.
- Allow the ingredients to cool down completely and then powder it.
- Store the powder/ podi in air tight container, and use clean and dry spoon always.
- Serve the podi with sesame oil/ ghee.