Chinese bhel is a super crunchy, spicy and little tangy recipe that serves to be a popular street food snack in Mumbai. This super easy and quick to make chinese bhel is prepared with fried noodles, onion, cabbage, carrots and few other ingredients to contribute to its taste. Though the original version is slightly different from this recipe or my recipe, but the output is yum. I have made minor changes to this recipe to make it very easy for everyone to prepare and most importantly the way my family relishes it. Everything about this recipe is easy, yes the ingredients that it demands are those that are available in our kitchen and also not much of pre preparation or special technique in its making. The only thing that we need to be careful about is when frying the cooked noodles as a lot of splutters happens, but otherwise Chinese bhel is a beginner friendly recipe! all the vegetable measurement mentioned below is chopped ones and can be altered accordingly. So lets get to the making!
- Noodles – 1
- Onion – ¼ cup
- Ginger – ½ tsp
- Garlic – ½ tsp
- Shredded cabbage – ½ cup
- Carrot – 2 tbsp
- Green capsicum – 1/3 cup
- Red capsicum – 1/3 cup
- Spring onion – 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce – ½ tsp
- Red chilli sauce – 1 tbsp
- Ketchup/ Tomato sauce – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Chinese bhel with step by step images
- I used regular noodles for this recipe, just 1 noodles from a pack. Chop the onions, capsicum/ bell pepper, spring onion and cabbage. Slice carrots into julienne. Chop ginger and garlic finely. keep the chopped veggies aside.
- Heat water in a pan. When the water starts to boil add noddles in it and allow it to cook. When the noodles look cooked drain the water using a strainer. Now run the cooked noodles in cold water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, when the oil is hot enough add small quantity of cooked noodles and make sure to step back as the oil will start bubbling emitting huge amount of heat. Fry the noodles in high flame till it gets crispy and golden brown color is achieved, then take it using a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute well until aromatic. Now add chopped onion and saute it for a minute.
- Now add chopped cabbage, carrot julienne, green capsicum and red capsicum. Saute well for a minute or so. Make sure to retain some crunchiness from the veggies but cooked. Now add soy sauce, ketchup and chilli sauce and salt. Saute for 30 seconds. If you feel your mixture looks very dry spring few drops of water.
- Now for the final step crush the fried noodles with fingers and add it to the veggies mixture. Toss it well in the mixture. Garnish it with some chopped green stalks from spring onion and some chopped cabbage. Serve it hot and your family will love it for sure! Serve it immediately as the noodles tend to get soggy.