Prawn Vindaloo is a spicy gravy/curry dish popular in goa which is prepared using a freshly ground masala paste containing dried red chilli, garlic, ginger, peppercorn, vinegar and whole spices gives this dish a unique flavor and creates magic in this dish. Along with the paste the addition of potato along with shrimp gives this dish a very new flavor with lip smacking taste. Vindaloo is usually done with meat but i wanted to give it a new try with sea food so i chose to make it with shrimp and it turned just yummy like the one with chicken that i regularly make at home. Shrimp vindaloo goes well with white rice, roti, chapati or even paratha. For the below recipe i used byadgi chilli for extra spiciness and color a, but you can use regular dried red chilli also. Again for this recipe i used small prawn which can be replaced with big ones too. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Prawn –1 ½ cup (cleaned and deveined)
- Potato – 1 (big)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients For grinding
- Dried red chilli – 8
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ¼ tsp
- Peppercorn – ¼ tsp
- Onion – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Garlic – 2
- Ginger – 1 chunk
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make prawn vindaloo with step by step images
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add dried red chilli, cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, peppercorn, ginger chunk and garlic. Saute well until aromatic and put off the flame. Allow it cool down.
- Now in a blender add the cooled mixture, vinegar and also chopped onions. Grind it into a smooth paste without adding any water. Keep the ground paste aside.
- Now chop onions and tomato finely. Wash, peel and chop potatoes into big chunks.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onions, saute well until onions slightly brown.
- Now add chopped tomato, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Saute well and allow the tomatoes to get cooked.
- When the tomatoes look cooked add chopped potato chunks. Mix well.
- After 2 minutes of adding potatoes add the ground masala paste and mix well. Cook the potatoes half done.
- when potatoes look half done add prawns and mix well. Add little water to get a gravy consistency. ( I used around half cup) cook the mixture in medium flame with lid on.
- When everything looks cooked and has thick gravy consistency garnish it with chopped cilantro and put off the flame. Serve it hot with rice, chapati or roti.