Instant sambar/ Fried gram dal sambar is a really quick and easy to make sambar recipe which takes only 10 minutes to make and is an amazing replacer of regular chutney and sambar. Instant sambar is usually served along with idli/ dosa or any batter oriented breakfast, so it can also be called as tiffin sambar. This delicious and aromatic sambar requires very few basic ingredients for its making and comes as pure bliss on busy mornings.
Before we get to the recipe i wanted to thank you all for your wishes and blessings. Below is a picture of the balloon decoration from my daughters birthday party.
After 2 days of not blogging, busy with my daughters 2 nd birthday party I wanted come back with an instant recipe and i think justice to that. So lets get to the making!
- Fried gram dal – ¼ cup
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tsp (for garnish)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
How to make instant sambar with step by step images
- In a blender add fried gram dal and grind it into fine powder. Now transfer the ground powder to a bowl.
- Add 1 ¼ cup water and mix well without any lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and onion cubes. Saute well until onion turns translucent in color.
- Now add chopped tomato, red chilli powder, sambar powder and salt. Mix well and saute till the raw smell of the dry powders go and till the tomatoes get cooked.
- When tomatoes look cooked add gram dal mixture and give it a good stir. Allow the mixture to boil well. (Sambar will thicken very quickly so if you can add little extra water according to your need) After 1- 2 minutes switch off the flame when it has reached sambar consistency. Serve it hot with dosa or idli!