Drumstick sambar is a scrumptious dish prepared with toor dal and drumstick acting as main ingredients. Sambar can be prepared with lots of veggies and of course with lot of variations but the below recipe is a very simple and easy version of making of drumstick sambar which can be made even by beginners. I feel so bad for holding this post as I got a lot of requests to show sambar making video and finally got an opportunity to do, as my hubby was able to handle little diva for extra time. Thank you to 2 close friends of mine for being so patient and hurray the video is finally here. So this post is a continuity to yesterday’s post, yes now that we know to make homemade sambar powder lets get to know the making of sambar as well!
Below is the sambar making video along with detailed pictorial description to make it easy for beginners.
As always everyone’s cooking is different and the below recipe is something i learnt from my MIL as my mom makes sambar in a much different way but tasty too.
Drumstick sambar making video
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Toor dal – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 1
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 cup (approx)
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Drumstick – 10 pieces
- Onion – 1 (small sized)
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (How to make Homemade Sambar Powder with video)
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dried red chilli – 1
- Garlic – 1
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil – 1 tbsp
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Drumstick sambar with step by step images
- Wash toor dal. In a pressure cooker add toor dal, tomato, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. When the pressure has subsided open the cooker, Mash dal well and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the tamarind juice.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, after it splutters add fenugreek seeds, dried red chilli, curry leaves, garlic and cubed onions.
- Saute well and add drumsticks, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well and add tamarind extract. Mix well.
- Allow the mixture to boil well and let the drumsticks cook. ( I added 1/2 cup extra water to cook drumstick).
- When drumstick looks cooked add mashed dal and required amount of water to get sambar consistency. Give it a good stir.
- Now add sambar powder to it and mix well. Allow it to boil well and when everything looks combined garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot with rice.