Mushroom kurma/ korma is a flavorful and yummy gravy that can be served with many main dishes like roti, chapati, dosa, idly, rice, parotta and so on. Though the name kurma and its making is familiar to everyone, this particular recipe is prepared in different style unlike the regular one as the mushrooms are cooked in three different ground mixture/ paste which makes this kurma much tastier than the regular vegetable kurma. This Mushroom kurma is prepared by cooking mushrooms in spicy onion tomato paste. Adding coconut cashew paste enhances the flavor and taste of this gravy. Though this kurma requires grinding of onion paste, tomato paste and coconut cashew paste, its preparation is very simple and easy. So lets get to the making!
- Mushroom – 6
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cilantro – for garnish
Ingredients For grinding
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Cashews – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2 stick
How to make mushroom kurma with step by step images
- Chop the mushrooms, onion and tomato then keep it aside.
- In a blender add chopped onions and grind it into paste without adding water and keep it aside.
- Now grind chopped tomato in a blender into fine paste.
- In a blender grind coconut and cashew nuts into a fine paste adding little water.
- Now in a pan add whole spices when aromatic add ginger garlic paste to it. Saute well and when the raw smell goes add onion paste and mix well.
- When the raw smell goes add tomato paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook till the raw smell goes. (I closed it with lid to prevent spilling).
- Now add chopped mushrooms to the onion tomato mixture. Mix well and let the mushrooms cook.
- When the mushroom is ½ done add coconut cashew paste and give it a good stir. Pour little water and allow the gravy to boil well. When the mushrooms look cooked and the gravy has thickened with kurma consistency put off the flame. Garnish it with cilantro and serve it hot with idli, dosa, chapati, roti, rice, parotta or main dish of your choice.