Pulla jantikalu also known as pulippu murukku/ thayir murukku is my family’s traditional murukku recipe and always holds priority place in snacks during festivals like diwali, so i prepared this as my first murukku for this diwali like every year. This murukku is my grandma’s recipe and I have relished it since childhood and now my hubby is great fan of this murukku. Pulla jantikalu/ Pulippu muruku is made with rice flour, fried gram dal flour and curd which gives the murukku a little sour and special taste. Adding roasted mustard seeds enhances the taste of this murukku even more. This crunchy, spicy and sour murukku is very easy to make and has only handful ingredients in its making. This murukku recipe involves grinding of gram dal, green chili and curd. So lets get to the making!
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Gram dal flour – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 1
- Curd – 1 cup
- Water- ¾ cup (approx)
- Salt – to taste
How to make Pulippu murukku with step by step images
- Heat a pan add mustard seeds, when it splutters put off the flame and keep it aside.
- Now in a blender add gram dal and grind it into fine powder and keep it aside.
- Now add curd and green chili in a blender and grind it. Add ¾ cup water (approx) to it and mix it well to form buttermilk. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl add rice flour, ground gram dal flour, buttermilk, salt and mustard seeds. Mix well and make a soft smooth dough. Adjust the consistency and water quantity of the buttermilk accordingly, as the quantity will change depending on the age of the flour. The water quantity mentioned is approx so add less or more water to form soft dough.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take the murukku maker and place the above shown disc template. Punch a small portion if dough and place it in the murukku maker. Press the dough in circular motion. As soon as you press the dough in oil, it will start bubbling and will emit lot of heat so make sure to press the dough fast and remove you hands.
- Fry the murukku in medium flame. When one side is done flip it and fry. Remove from oil when golden brown and transfer it to a plate with paper towel. Serve it.