Potato murukku/ chakli is a fried crunchy and yummy snack with potato flavors in every bite. It is prepared by making dough with rice flour and potato paste, which is then shaped and fried in oil. Potato murukku is very easy and simple to make recipe with only few ingredients available in you pantry. This murukku/ chakli requires no grinding of flour or roasting dal and that is why I like to make it. Potato murukku/ chakli can be prepared during festivals like diwali or served as evening snacks. So lets get to the making!
- Potato (Boiled and peeled) – 1
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Melted butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 tbsp (approx)
- Oil – for frying
How to make Potato murukku with step by step images
- In a bowl add boiled and peeled potato. Mash it little. Now add mashed potato and water in a blender and make a paste. (You can skip mashing step and grind it into paste directly).
- In a bowl add rice flour, cumin seeds, butter, salt and potato paste. Mix well and knead it into smooth dough. (I did not add water while kneading but if you need you can add a tbsp of water). While kneading dough you may feel little raw potato smell which is absolutely fine.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Take the murukku/ chakli maker and place the above shown disc template in it. Pinch a small portion of dough and place it in the murukku/ chakli maker.
- Now flip a slotted spoon and press the dough in circular motion to form murukku/ chakli.
- Drop the shaped muruku/ chakli dough in oil gently. Fry in medium flame until crispy and golden brown. Transfer it to a plate with paper towel. Serve it!
- Make sure to paste the potatoes well without any chunks.
- Add very little while grinding potatoes.
- Make sure to knead a smooth dough else it will be tough to make murukku/ Chakli.
- Make sure the oil is at right temperature before frying murukku/ chakli. Drop a small ball of dough in oil, if it comes up immediately, then oil is ready.
- Fry the murukku/ chakli in medium flame to get even coloring and cooked interior, else it will change the taste of the murukku/ chakli.