Potato sweet mixture is an instant and easy to make fried snacks prepared by mixing powdered sugar, nuts and fried grated potatoes. This mixture can be prepared for diwali or as tea time snacks. This is my childhood favorite snacks and after that I got chance to taste this only after I got married as I did my schooling in dubai. My hubby used to get this snacks during my college days in chennai and after coming to california I never found this snack in any store. One day I got this recipe from my mom’s friend, from then I started making this at home. So thought to share it in my blog today. I have added few notes to make it simple and more easy for beginners so lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Potato – 3
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Cashews – 6 to 8
- Dry grapes – 5
- Pistachios – 5
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil for frying
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Potato sweet mixture with step by step images
- In a blender add sugar and cardamom powder. Grind it into fine powder and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, fry cashews and dry grapes until golden color. Keep it aside.
- Wash, peel and grate potatoes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Take a bowl of water and add grated potatoes in it. Give it a good mix. Now drain the water and transfer the grated potatoes on to a towel. Just give it a pat. It is absolutely fine if it has moisture in it.
- Now drop (spread it oil with fingers) the grated potatoes in oil in batches otherwise it will form lumps. Fry them until crispy but not brown. (Keep an eye on the potatoes as they will alter the taste of the mixture if they turn brown). When done transfer it to a plate with paper towel and keep it aside.
- Now combine the fried grated potatoes, fried cashews, fried dry grapes, pistachios and powdered sugar.
- Mix well and serve!
- Grate the potatoes immediately after peeling. Drop the potatoes in oil as soon as you grate them. Do not let it turn brown.
- Adding grated potatoes in water and then patting in towel is a must step before frying. If the step is skipped it will yield little soggy, uneven and potatoes in lumps.
- Remember not to set the flame low or high. If you set low temperature it will yield soggy grated potatoes. If you keep the flame too high it will yield very brown grated potatoes.
- Make sure to drain the excess oil from the fried potatoes.
- As soon as you are done with frying potatoes mix it with powdered sugar.