Eggplant bajji is fried snack prepared by dipping thin slices of eggplant in besan batter and fried in oil. Eggplant bajji is a healthy, yummy and easy to make recipe. This bajji has always been my favorite bajji since childhood as I have always seen my mom prepare bajji often with eggplants. This is my mom’s recipe and I am glad that today I make it for my family and they enjoy every bite of it whenever I make. I made this eggplant bajji today as we harvested ½ a dozen eggplants from my garden yesterday evening and I couldn’t resist making dishes out of it, so I wished to make my mom’s recipe first with yesterdays harvest. For the below recipe I haven’t added any food color or soda to make it puff. Right batter and perfect oil temperature will yield puffy bajji. So lets get to the making!
- Eggplant – 1
- Besan – 1 cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Salt – as needed
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water- to make batter
- Oil – for frying
How to make Eggplant bajji with step by step images
- Heat oil in a frying pan. In a bowl add besan, rice flour, chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add water gradually to form a thick batter( I used around ¾ cup water).
- Wash and slice eggplant thin. Dip the eggplant in besan batter well and drop it oil. Repeat the process until you finish the batter.
- Flip the bajji after it has puffed. When both sides are cooked remove from oil and transfer it to a plate and serve it hot with chutney!
- Make the batter thick which will help batter coat well on to the eggplant slices.
- Prepare batter first then slice the eggplants so that they don’t turn brown.
- Make sure the oil is in right temperature not too high and not too low.