Oats Uthappam is an indian pancake cooked with batter and chopped veggies as toppings cooked in batter. It is best known for its soft spongy texture and size. Oats is very healthy and is a must in our diet for its goodness and health benefits. Though I don’t like oats this recipe is my favorite as it is spicy, crunchy and has flavors different from regular dishes. Even oats haters are gonna love this recipe like me. Lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Oats – 1 ½ cup
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Sooji/ semolina – 1 tbsp
- Curd – ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
Ingredients for Topping
- Chopped onion – ½ cup
- Chopped tomato – ½ cup
- Chopped green chili – 2
- Idly podi – ¼ cup
- Grated carrot – ½ cup
- Chopped cilantro – ¼ cup
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make oats uthappam with step by step images
- Heat a pan and dry roast oats for few seconds. Don’t turn them brown. In a blender add oats, sooji /semolina and rice flour; blend it into fine powder.
- Take a bowl add oats powder, salt and curd. Mix well and make it into thick batter by gradually adding water.
- Now heat a tava and pour a ladle of batter similar to the shape of regular uthappam or pancake. Now add chopped onions, tomato,chili, grated carrot, podi and cilantro as topping. Drizzle oil/ ghee around it. When you see browning in the sides flip the uthappam carefully. Cook until done.
- Serve it hot!
- Over roasting oats alters the taste of uthappam
- Proper batter yields soft and spongy uthappam which means consistency is important.
- Perfect tava heat creates wholes in uthappam and ensures even coloring and cooked inner.