This is an all time favorite sambar for my hubby. Radish / mulangi sambar is often made by my MIL along with potato poriyal and this was the first dish she served me when i got married so it holds a sweet memory too and i also remember that the sambar was too good but i ate only little when i came to their house for the first time since i was so shy to ask for some more rice and sambar . Now i am happy to prepare it myself. So lets get started!
For this sambar preparation i used the radish harvested in my patio.
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Small size onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Radish/ mulangi – 2 medium sized
- Garlic – 2 pearls
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
- Tamarind gooseberry size
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seed – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves a spring
- Hing a pinch
How to make Mulangi sambar with step by step images
- Chop onions,tomato and radish/mulangi. Wash toor dal and keep it aside.
- Now in a pressure cooker add the washed toor dal, tomato, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, salt and add 2 cups water. Now take a small bowl and add chopped onion, garlic and radish / mulangi in it and place in the cooker onto the dal.
- After 3 whistles put off the flame and wait for the pressure to release.
- Now take the small bowl from the cooker and mash the dal. Now add tamarind extract, cooked radish/ mulangi along with chili powder, coriander powder and salt to the mashed dal and bring to boil and put off the flame.
- Serve the sambar hot with rice.