Prawn biryani/ Shrimp biryani is a very flavorful and aromatic sea food biryani completely different in taste from chicken biryani and egg biryani. Prawn/ Shrimp biryani can be prepared in many ways but this particular recipe is one of my favorites as it is very simple and quick to prepare biryani without involving much of ingredients and most importantly without grinding any special masala. Yes this biryani uses all the basic ingredients available in the kitchen yet resulting in delicious output. So when you have very less time to prepare your lunch/ don’t have mood for to prepare anything with lots of procedures this recipe should come handy. I like to prepare this shrimp biryani for one more reason as it involves just chopping of onion and mint which is plus to me, as this again reduces the preparation time for me as the deviening and deshelling part is done by my hubby always. So if you are looking for a yummy biryani recipe without involving much of work this could be your choice. Do try this prawn biryani this sunday and give a change to your routine. So lets get to the making!
You can check out my other non- veg biryani recipes below:
- Green egg biryani
- Pressure cooker prawn biryani
- Ambur chicken biryani
- Anganan chicken biryani
- Shrimp dum biryani
- Tawa chicken biryani
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||TOTAL TIME||SERVES|
|15 min||35 min||50 min||2|
- Prawn/Shrimp – 5
- Basmati Rice – ¾ cup
- Onion – 1
- Mint- ¼ cup
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 3
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Prawn biryani with step by step images
- Wash and soak rice in water for 15 minutes. Slice onions thin, chop mint and make slit in green chilli and set aside.
- Devien and deshell shrimp/prawn. (credits to my hubby for all that work done)
- Clean and wash shrimp well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add whole spices when aromatic add sliced onions and Saute well till onions turn slightly golden in color. Now add ginger garlic paste to it and saute until the raw smell goes.
- When the raw smell og ginger garlic paste has gone add chopped mint to it and saute till they shrink.
- Now add shrimp, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix everything well and saute the shrimp/prawn in the masala for few seconds. While sauteeing, the onions will caramelize even more adding to the flavor, color and taste of this biryani. Now add curd and give it a good stir.
- Now add soaked rice and water. Mix well and check for salt.
- Transfer the mixture to electric rice cooker and cook till done. ( If using pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles) When the rice looks done allow it to rest for 5 minutes then take it from the sides using spatula and fluff it gently. Serve it hot with raita!