Rajma masala/ Rajma gravy is a protein packed gravy that is prepared by cooking rajma/ kidney beans in spicy and flavorful onion tomato based gravy. Rajma masala/ gravy is a easy to make gravy with simple preparation can be served with rice, roti or chapati. For the below recipe I ground little cooked rajma, onion and tomato to use it in the gravy to thicken it, but you can skip that step if you don’t like. I will keep posting a lot of side dishes for chapati, idli and dosa in coming weeks as I see a lot of people search for side dishes and mail me too, so stay tuned to get know about all those recipes. So lets get to the making!
- Rajma/ Red kidney beans – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Chopped Cilantro – for garnish
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Rajma masala with step by step images
- Wash and soak rajma/ kidney beans overnight or for 8 hours at least.
- Pressure cook it for 2 – 3 whistles.(I used 2 cups water to pressure cook.) Drain the water from rajma/ kidney beans in a separate bowl to be used for gravy.
- Chop onions, tomato and make slit in green chili.
- In a blender add cooked rajma, a tbsp chopped onion and chopped tomato and grind it to a paste. (This will help the gravy to thicken). Keep the paste aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add whole spices when aromatic add chopped onions and green chili. Saute well then add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor goes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and all the dry powders including salt . Mix well and saute till the tomatoes get mushy.
- Now add the ground rajma mixture to it and combine everything together.
- Now add cooked rajma/ kidney beans and add water. Mix well and allow it to boil and when it reaches desired consistency put off the flame. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot with chapati.