Kaima idli is a delicious, spicy, crunchy and flavorful dish that is prepared with fried leftover idlies. Kaima idli is prepared by tossing fried idli cubes in spicy and crunchy onion tomato based masala. Adding capsicum for flavor and green peas for crunchiness makes the dish more tasty and special. The best ever kaima idli that I have tasted till date is surely from Saravana Bhavan and whenever I go there I make sure to order kaima idli for me after idli/ dosa as I am very crazy about it. I always make sure to retain 2 idlies from breakfast or say make extra idlies to make kaima idli or idli upma. Kaima idli is a beginner friendly recipe as it involves basic ingredients and also does not require any special technique or much time in its making. So whenever you have leftover idli at home try making this recipe! So lets get to the making!
- Idli – 2
- Onion – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green peas – ¼ cup (cooked)
- Green Capsicum cubes – ¼ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make kaima idli with step by step images
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Chop idli into cubes just as shown in the above picture.
- Add the chopped idli cubes in preheated oil and fry them until golden brown. When done transfer the fried idli cubes to a plate with paper towel and keep it aside.
- Chop onion, tomatoes and green chilli finely, capsicum into cubes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add curry leaves, chopped onion and chopped green chilli. Saute well. When the onions look sauteed add ginger garlic paste. Saute well till the raw flavor goes.
- When the raw smell of ginger garlic paste has gone add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and allow the tomatoes to cook.
- When the tomatoes look cooked and mushy add chopped capsicum cubes and peas. Mix mix well and cook for a minute. Now add ¼ cup water to it and mix well.
- When the mixture looks thick like masala add the fried idli cubes. Mix well in a way that the masala coates the fried idli well. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot with raita!