Cabbage pappu/ cabbage dal is a super easy and quick to make one pot curry prepared by pressure cooking moong dal, onion, tomato and cabbage till mushy and to which finally a tempering made with Sun dried chilli/ majiga mirapakaya/ mor milagay and mustard seeds is added to enhance its taste and flavors. This pappu/ dal demanding very few ingredients in its making is such a handy recipe when you have very less to prepare food and also is such a life saver recipe as it can be accompanied various dishes like chapati, roti, dosa, idli and rice. So this pappu can be served at any time of the day. So lets get to the making!
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Cabbage – 2 cups( chopped)/ ¼ portion of cabbage
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Tomato – 1 (small sized)
- Green chilli – 2
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients For tempering
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Sun dried chilli/ Mor milagai – 2
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make cabbage pappu with step by step images
- Wash and soak moong dal in water for 20 minutes. Soaking helps dal cook faster and along with mushy texture. (I soaked moon dal in 2 cups of water required to cook the dal mixture)
- Meanwhile, Chop onion, tomato and cabbage. Make a slit in the center if green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin seeds, when it splutters add chopped onion, tomato and green chilli. Saute for few seconds then add turmeric powder and salt. Saute for a minute.
- Now add moong dal along with water. Mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles or until everything looks cooked.
- When the pressure has subsided remove the lid and mash the dal mixture.
- Now heat oil in a small pan add majjiga mirapakaya/ mor milagai, fry till aromatic then add mustard seeds, when it splutters add curry leaves and hing. Put off the flame and pour the tempering over dal/pappu mixture and mix well. Serve it hot with rice!