Carrot kootu is tradition south Indian curry/gravy prepared by cooking chopped carrot in mashed toor dal and moong dal mixture. Adding freshly ground coconut mixture adds to the taste and flavor of this dish. This zero level spicy gravy is one of the healthy and delicious gravies that I completely enjoy eating and I have never felt the spiciness missing due to its taste. Carrot kootu demands very few ingredients in its making, which makes it very easy and handy recipe on busy mornings. So if you like carrots and dal this gravy/curry should turn as pure bliss. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Carrot- 1
- Onion- 1 (small)
- Toor dal- ¼ cup
- Moong dal- ¼ cup
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients For grinding
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make carrot kootu with step by step images
- In a cooker add toor dal and moong dal. Wash it and soak in 1 ½ cup water for 15 minutes. Soaking helps dal to cook faster.
- After 15 minutes to the dal add salt and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles or until becomes mushy. When the pressure has subsided open the cooker and mash dal and keep it aside.
- Chop onions and carrot. Keep it aside.
- In a blender add coconut and cumin seeds. Grind it into a paste adding little water. (I used around 3 tbsp water while grind). Now keep this mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/ kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dal when it turns golden brown add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute well until onions turn translucent. Now to the sauteed onions add chopped carrot and salt. Saute well and cook the carrot with lid on in medium flame till it is half done. (This should take around 4 to 5 minutes)
- Now when the carrot is half done add ground coconut mixture and mix well. Allow it boil.
- Now add the mashed dal along with ½ cup water to adjust the consistency. Mix well and allow it to boil well with lid on in medium flame till you the carrot gets cooked. (This should take about 4 minutes)
- When carrot looks cooked and everything looks cooked put off the flame and serve it hot with rice!