Prawn pickle/ Shrimp pickle is a spicy, little tangy and flavorful pickle that takes just 20 minutes to prepare with very simple ingredients available in the pantry. Homemade Prawn pickle are much healthier and tastier than the store bought ones as we know what goes in and the spiciness and taste can be altered according to our family taste. I usually don’t buy store bough pickles that contains sea food or meat due to health concerns but I trust and buy from those people who professionally sell pickles that are homemade and are very well known to my family say a friend or relative. This recipe comes from that very person who makes delish pickles with seafood and meat and this particular pickle recipe is my all time favorite since my pregnancy. Prawn pickle goes very well with curd rice or can be relished by mixing it in hot rice as well and that happens mostly when i am lazy to cook something for me alone. The most important thing I like about this pickle is that It stays good for up to 25 to 30 days when maintained well and since its refrigerated the chances pf getting spoiled are very less, but i am not lucky with that nor happy about that because this pickle maximum stays only 1 week at home as it get oven very fast. I prepared this recipe with frozen shrimp available in Costco the small variety ones, so whenever I buy it the very next day these shrimps will be pickled. So try making this simple, easy and quick prawn pickle at home and relish it with every meal. So lets get to the making!
- Prawn/ Shrimp – 250 grams
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – ¼ cup
Ingredients For tempering
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilli – 4
- Curry leaves – a spring
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make prawn pickle with step by step images
- Wash, clean and devien shrimp/ prawn. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add cleaned and deviened shrimp. Saute well and allow it to cook in medium flame without lid. So as you keep cooking, the shrimp will release a lot of water and it will be bubbling which is completely okay. So as it gets cooked all the water will dry out and that is what we need. Keep stirring every now and then so that the prawns don’t get stuck to the pan.
- Now when the shrimp/ prawn looks cooked push them to one side add 1 tsp oil to the empty side of the pan and add ginger garlic paste in it and saute well till the raw smell goes. When the raw smell has gone mix the ginger garlic paste with the prawns and saute well for a minute. Put off the flame and keep it aside.
- Transfer the cooked prawns/ shrimp to a bowl and after 5 minutes add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and keep it aside. Check for salt and tanginess if you feel anything is missing add it at this point itself.
- Now in the same pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, after it splutters add urad dal when it turns golden add dried red chilli and curry leaves. When aromatic put off the flame and add the mixture to the prawn mixture and mix well. When the prawn mixture has completely cooled you can use it right away but it tastes more delish from the very next day as the prawn absorbs all the flavors. Store the pickle in refrigerator and every time use a dry and clean spoon for extended shelf life! Enjoy the pickle with curd rice or in hot rice!