So I am back to work after a much needed short break and family time, so refreshed I feel and I am sure to post a lot of interesting and yummy recipes in my style!
Whole wheat paneer momos are yummy stuffed steamed dumplings that are super easy to make and healthy to eat. These paneer momos can be made either with maida or whole wheat flour depending on the taste and preference. Momos are healthy option to eat as snacks on any day but tastes amazing on days when temperature drops. The below recipe holds a very simple and a basic filling that can be made in no time if you have paneer ready at home. You can also alter the filling according to your liking as momos can be be made with lot of variations which I will post in the coming weeks. Also momos can also be made made with different shapes but since this is my first post with momos I thought to follow the traditional shaping. So lets get to the making!
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – to knead dough
Ingredients for filling
- Paneer – ½ cup (shredded)
- Onion – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Chopped garlic – 1
- Chopped ginger – 1 chunk
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli flakes – ¼ tsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make paneer momos with step by step images
- In a wide bowl add wheat flour, salt and oil. Mix well and add water gradually to form a soft dough. (I used around ¼ cup water) keep the dough aside for 15 minutes.
- Chop onions, cilantro, ginger and garlic finely. Shred/ grate the paneer and keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute well until aromatic. Add chopped onion, salt and red chilli flakes. Mix and saute well.
- When the onions look sauteed put off the flame and add the shredded paneer and chopped cilantro. Mix well and keep it aside for the mixture to cool down completely.
- Pinch a small portion of dough. Flatten it into thin round using rolling pin.
- Place the filling in the center and start pleating the sides of the flattened dough. ( pleat it just like saree) Bring all the pleated sides to the center and seal it tight. Repeat the whole process till all the dough and filling is complete.
- Heat water in a steamer/ idli steamer. Grease a plate with little oil. Place the uncooked momos in the grease plate. Place the plate with momos in steamer and steam it for 12 – 15 minutes or until the momos look shiny on the exterior.
- Take the momos out of the steamer and serve it hot with momos sauce or any spicy sauce of your choice!