Chow mein is a stir fried noodles that is super easy to make and takes only minutes to whip up, still tastes delish. This quick and yummy chow mein with vegetable base can be prepared with basic ingredients without much effort. Adding colorful capsicum/ bell pepper adds to the crunchiness and garnishing it with sesame seeds gives it new taste and flavor in every bite. For the below recipe I skipped oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce from the traditional recipe in order to make it easy for everyone and also to avoid confusion for beginners. I have also added chilli flakes as we like it that way which can be skipped. This recipe can be made with fresh or dried egg noodles/ veg noodles as well. So lets get to the making!
- Noodles – 1 pack
- Garlic – 1
- Green capsicum- ¼ cup
- Red capsicum – ¼ cup
- Yellow capsicum – ¼ cup
- Orange capsicum – ¼ cup
- Carrot – ¼ cup
- Shredded cabbage – ¼ cup
- Spring onion – 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – ¼ tsp
- Crushed pepper – ¼ tsp
- Chilli flakes – ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds – ½ tsp ( for garnish)
- Oil – 1 ½ tsp
How to make Vegetable chow mein with step by step images
- Chop garlic finely, chop spring onion both white and green potion, slice capsicum/ bell pepper thin/ julienne, shred / thinly slice cabbage and set aside.
- Heat water in a pot. When it is rolling boil add the noodles and cook till done. When the noodles look cooked drain off the excess water using a strainer and run the cooked noodles in cold water and keep it aside. this step eliminates the noodles sticking to each other.
- Heat oil in a pan add chopped garlic, saute until aromatic, then add all the veggies. Saute well in high flame for 1 minute. We want the veggies to be crunchy so do not cook for long time.
- Now add soy sauce, red chilli sauce, chilli flakes, salt, sugar and crushed pepper. Toss the veggies well in the sauce.
- Now add the cooked noodles in it and toss well until everything looks combined. Put off the flame and garnish it with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve it hot!