Kothimbir vadi/ Coriander fritters is a savory snack of Maharashtra prepared with fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves and besan/ chickpea flour. Kothimbir vadi is a crispy and yummy fried fritter usually served along with hot tea/ chai. This flavorful snack is prepared with few simple ingredients by steaming the besan cilantro batter then frying it in oil. Kothimbir vadi is my hubby’s favorite snack and I prepare it only on days when he is at home or when he comes home early as this needs to be relished hot/ warm to enjoy its taste and flavors. For the below recipe I fried the steamed vadi with very little oil in a pan in order to cut down oil, but you can deep fry it as well. So lets get to the making!
- Besan – 1 cup
- Cilantro/ Coriander – ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – ¼ tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – ¾ cup
- Oil – for frying
How to make Kothimbir vadi with step by step images
- Using a mortar and pestel crush peanuts coarse or powder and keep it aside. (You can grind them in blender as well)
- In a bowl add besan, ginger garlic paste, chopped green chilli, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, salt, cumin seeds, crushed peanuts and sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Now add water to form a batter. The batter should not be too thin nor too thick in consistency. (I added 3/4 cup water) Make sure the batter does not have lumps.
- Now add chopped cilantro in the batter and mix well.
- Heat water in idli steamer. Grease a plate/ bowl with few drops of oil. Pour the batter and place it in the idli steamer and steam it for 15 minutes.
- When done remove it from idli steamer and allow it to cool down little.
- Now insert a toothpick in the center of the steamed vadi, if it comes out clean its fully cooked. Now run a knife and slice the vadi according to desired shapes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced kothimbir vadi and fry until golden color or crispy exterior. When done transfer it to a plate with paper towel and serve it hot chai/ tea.