Elephant yam stir fry/ Yam fry/ Karunai kizhangu fry is a very simple and quick recipe with flavors of cilantro and garlic. This yam stir fry is prepared in a very different and tasty method unlike other recipes with basic ingredients that is always available in pantry. This is a very flavorful recipe and whenever you make it at home its strong aroma will keep lingering in your home at least for a day. This stir fry recipe is prepared by marinating chopped yam cubes in a spicy, garlicky and cilantro flavored mixture and cooked in oil without adding any water which is actually the main secret behind its taste and can be accompanied with sambar, kootu, any pappu recipe, rasam, mor kuzhambu and so on. For the below recipe I used frozen yam as I very rarely find fresh ones in stores here, but it was still yummy. This recipe requires grinding of a mixture which is the main essence to its making. So lets get to the making quickly!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Yam/ Karunai kizhangu – ½ (peeled and cubed)
- Cilantro – ½ cup (tightly packed)
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Garlic – 1
- Dried red chilli – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Oil – 2 tbsp
[sam id=”2″ name=”Post Ads – 2″ codes=”true”]
How to make yam fry with step by step images
- Peel and chop elephant yam into cubes.
- In a blender add cilantro, cumin seeds, garlic and dried red chilli. Grind it without adding water. The mixture will look coarse.
- Now in a bowl add the elephant yam cubes, ground mixture, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, after it crackles add urad dal when it turns golden brown add curry leaves and marinated elephant yam. Mix well and cook in low to medium flame. ( I cooked with lid on) Give an occasional stir to make sure it doesn’t get burnt.
- When done put off the flame and serve it brinjal sambar and rice!