Brinjal sambar is a very delicious recipe that I longed to make post delivery as I could not get hold of these green beauties in the store since then. So this week as soon as I found them, I rushed to buy them as it is my hubby’s favorite as he keeps telling me about the sambar made with green brinjal whenever I make sambar at home. Finally it is here. This sambar recipe is very similar to the regular sambar that we make at home and the making is same as the drumstick sambar video that I posted. So if you find green brinjal in the market never miss to grab them as they work great for sambar and for stuffed brinjal recipe. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Toor dal – ½ cup
- Tomato – 1
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 cup (approx)
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Green brinjal – 5
- Onion – 1 (small sized)
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (Homemade Sambar powder recipe)
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Oil – 1 tbsp
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Brinjal Sambar with step by step images
- Wash toor dal. In a pressure cooker add toor dal, tomato, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. When the pressure has subsided open the cooker, Mash dal well and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup warm water and extract the tamarind juice.
- Wash brinjal and discard the stem. Now slice them into 4 quarters. You can immerse them water as soon as you chop them to avoid them turn black.(I usually chop them just before adding them to the sambar to avoid immersing them in water)
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, after it splutters add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and cubed onions. Saute well and add green brinjal, red chilli powder, sambar powder and coriander powder. Saute well for a minute so that the brinjal gets roasted a little.
- Now add tamarind extract. Mix well and allow the it to boil.
- When brinjal looks half done add cooked add mashed dal. Give it a good stir and allow it boil well. When everything looks combined garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve it hot with rice!