Urundai kuzhambu/ Paruppu urundai kuzhambu is a spicy and tangy gravy with infused dal flavors. This kuzhambu/ gravy is prepared by adding steamed lentil balls in spicy tamarind gravy and cooked till the gravy/ kuzhambu thickens. The lentil ball is made with channa dal and toor dal which has lot of health benefits along with cumin seeds for flavor and red chilli to add spiciness. Though this kuzhambu / gravy involves soaking, grinding and little more steps in making, it is very easy to prepare and when you taste it, you will feel it was worth doing it. As always everyone’s cooking and recipe is different and the below recipe is long cherished by my family. This is one such recipe that i loved throughout my pregnancy and i have no idea as to how often i made this at home. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
Ingredients for making lentil ball/ urundai
- Channa dal – ¾ cup
- Toor dal – ¼ cup
- Red chilli – 2
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind – golf ball size
- Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – a spring
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Urundai kuzhambu with step by step images
- Wash and soak dal in water for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract tamarind juice and keep it aside.
- In a blender add soaked dal, red chilli, salt and cumin seeds. Grind it without adding any water. Now transfer the ground dal mixture to a bowl.
- Take a small portion of dal mixture and make it into small balls and place it on the greased plate one by one.
- Add water in steamer and grease steaming plate with oil. Now place the plate with lentil balls in steamer and steam it for 15 minutes.
- When done remove from steamer and keep it aside.
- Take a lentil ball and crumble it and keep it aside. (This step is optional)
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan. Add mustard seeds, after it splutters add curry leaves, chilli powder and sambar powder. Give it a quick stir and add tamarind juice in it. Mix well and allow it boil.
- When the mixture starts to boil and when the raw smell goes add the steamed lentil balls one by one. Cover it with a lid and cook.
- After 5 minutes add the crumbled lentil ball to it and mix well. Allow the mixture to boil and when the kuzhambu starts to thicken and oil separates in the sides put off the flame and serve it hot with rice!