Pressure cooker prawn biryani is a very aromatic, flavorful and mouthwatering one pot dish prepared with few basic ingredients in a very simple and easy method. This biryani involves grinding of a paste using mint, cilantro and green chilli to enhance the taste of this biryani. As it is thanksgiving day tomorrow in US, I thought to post this special recipe to make the occasion more special. I usually don’t feel comfortable making biryani in pressure cooker for no reason, but prepared this biryani after years in pressure cooker as I wanted to post a different yet easy recipe. For the below recipe i used frozen shrimp/ prawn that i bought from costco, but you can use fresh prawns or even big sized shrimp for making the biryani. So lets get to the making!
- Prawn – ½ cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curd – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients for grinding
- Mint- ¼ cup
- Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
How to make Pressure cooker Prawn biryani with step by step images
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Slice onions thin, chop tomatoes, mint and cilantro and set aside.
- Clean and devein prawns and keep it aside.
- In a blender add mint, cilantro and green chilli. Grind it into paste without adding water. (It is completely fine if it is little coarse).
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker add whole spices when aromatic add sliced onions and saute well. Now add ginger garlic paste to it and saute until the raw smell goes.
- Now add the ground paste and saute well.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to it along with chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Saute well and let the tomatoes cook.
- When the tomatoes look cooked and mushy add prawn. Mix well and add curd. Give it a good stir.
- When everything looks combined add soaked rice and water. (I used 1¼ cup water for 1 cup rice). When the mixture starts to boil put the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- After 3 whistles put off the flame and allow the pressure to subside. Then allow the biryani to rest for 5 more minutes then use a spatula from the sides to take the rice. Serve it hot with onion raita!