Poondu kuzhambu is a spicy, tangy and very flavorful kuzhambu prepared in chettinadu style by grinding paste with onion, tomato and coconut. This kuzhambu became my favorite one since my pregnancy after trying lot of variations. Many people prepare this poondu kuzhambu/ garlic kuzhambu in different ways and methods but the below style is something that i and my hubby like the best. This particular recipe is so easy to prepare and at the very same time does not involve too many steps or ingredients, making it easy for beginners to try as well. The spice level for the below recipe can be altered according to your taste and i have mentioned little extra quantity oil which can be cut down as well. So lets get to the making!
Ingredients for grinding
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
How to make Poondu kuzhambu with step by step images
- Soak tamarind in water and extract tamarind juice.
- Heat oil in a pan add chopped onion and saute for a minute then add chopped tomato and cook until it gets soft.
- Now add grated coconut in it. Mix well and put off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Now transfer the onion tomato mixture to a blender, blend it once, then add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Grind it into fine paste and keep it aside.
- Now sesame oil in a a kadai, add mustard seeds after it splutters add cumin seeds after it crackles add urad dal, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and garlic pearls. Saute garlic well until aromatic.
- Now add the ground paste in it and mix well. Allow it to boil then add tamarind extract in it and mix well.
- Cook with lid on. When the mixture boils well and raw flavor of the tamarind extract has gone, and garlic becomes soft put off the flame and serve it hot with rice!