Karunai kizhangu/ Yam roast is a spicy and tangy recipe as it is prepared by marinating karunai kizhangu/ yam in tomato paste and then roasted in oil without adding water. This recipe is easy to prepare with handful ingredients and at the same time is very different from the regular cooking and i am happy to share my grandma’s recipe in my blog. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Karunai kizhangu / Elephant Yam – 1 (small sized)
- Small Tomato – 2
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt as needed
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Karunai kizhangu roast with step by step images
- In a blender add chopped tomato, chili powder and salt. Grind it into fine paste.
- Peel, wash and chop karunai kizhangu into small cubes. Now add tomato paste and turmeric to the chopped karunai kizhangu and marinate it for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan add marinated karunai kizhangu and saute it in oil for few seconds. Then cover it with a lid and cook it in low flame without adding water Give it a stir every 2 – 3 minutes so that it doesn’t get burnt. When it seems to be cooked remove the lid and roast it dry and put off the flame.
- Serve it hot with mor kuzhambu or gravy of your choice!