Inji kuzhambu is a spicy and tasty kuzhambu which is prepared by grinding ginger and green chili into paste and then enhancing the taste by adding tamarind extract. This kuzhambu is usually with hot rice or with curd rice. I usually prepare this kuzhambu during winter as it tastes best during cold climate. So lets get to the grinding then to the making!
- Chopped ginger – 1 cup
- Green chili – 1
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Sugar / jaggery – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves a spring
- Grind ginger and green chili together into paste by adding very little water then soak tamarind in water and extract tamarind juice from it.
- Now heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds after it splutters add urad dal and channa dal after it turns golden brown add curry leaves then add ginger chili paste to it and mix well until the raw smell goes.
- Now add turmeric powder and chili powder to it and mix it well then add tamarind extract to it and allow it to boil until it thickness and oil separates in the sides of the kuzhambu. Now add sugar/ jaggery and put off the flame.
- Serve it hot with rice.