Kathirikai puli kuzhambu is a must have recipe in my monthly cooking list because I relished this recipe from my childhood. This gravy tickles your tongue as it is tangy and at the same time spicy. This can be made with lot of variations and with different vegetables but today I chose to make the simple one. For the below recipe I have used more tomatoes in order to make the kuzhambu/ gravy more tangy and thick. So let’s get started.
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 6 to 8
- Small onion -1
- Tomato – 2
- Garlic – 2 to 3 pearls
- Tamarind gooseberry size
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Sesame oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
How to make Kathirikai puli kuzhambu with step by step images
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice from it. chop onions, tomato and the brinjal/eggplant.
Now heat a wok/ kadai and add oil, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds after it crackles add the chopped onion, garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute them till the onions turn lightly brown, now add chopped tomatoes and all the dry powders including salt and cook till the tomatoes get mushy.
- Now add the sliced brinjal/ eggplant and saute them till the brinjal gets cooked.
- Now add tamarind extract to it and allow it to boil. U can put off the flame when u see the kuzhambu consistency. ( I added little sugar after I put of the flame to enhance the taste. This is Andhra style u can skip this step if u don’t like)
- The kuzhambu is now ready to be served with rice and papad!