I usually don’t make sambar with vendakai / okra as i like it best in poriyal/ vepudu. I am compelled to prepare sambar with it because this vendakai /okra was harvested at my home. Since i had only handful of them i chose to make sambar out of it and trust me produce from your own garden tastes 100 times delicious than store brought. So let get started!
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Small onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Okra/ ladies finger – 10 nos
- Garlic – 2 pearls
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 th tsp
- Tamarind gooseberry size
How to make Vendakai sambar with step by step images
- Pressure cook dal ,tomato, cumin seeds and a pinch of turmeric powder for 3 whistles. Mash well and set aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup warm water and extract the tamarind juice.
- Heat a pan with oil and add chopped onions and okra fry them in medium-high flame until brown spots appear. Set aside.
- Add the fried onion, ladies finger, tamarind extract, turmeric powder, sambar powder, red chili powder, salt, and add the mashed dal mixture . Add water if required and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add dry chilies, hing and curry leaves. Pour it over the sambar.
- Serve it hot with rice!