Phool makhana chapati/ Lotus seeds chapati/ Fox nuts chapati is a soft, delicious and healthy chapati/ roti made with powdered phool makhana/ lotus seeds and wheat flour. Phool makhana/ lotus seeds a white colored seed popped like popcorn is a good source of protein rich in iron, fiber and a lot more health benefits. Phool makhana with so much goodness needs to be in our diet, so along with snacks thought to make chapati/ roti with it and trust me it has only mild flavors of phool makhana and no one will even know its presence in the chapati, but i can say its added flavors makes the roti/ chapati taste delish and super soft. I wanted to share this recipe from a very long time but the photo session really dint happen, and yesterday I was determined to capture and without any delay posted it. Ok after that long intro and short story i think we should quickly get to the recipe so that you can use this magic spell in your kitchen. So lets get to the making!
- Phool makhan – ½ cup
- Wheat flour – ½ cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Oil/ Ghee – for making chapati
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make phool makhana chapati with step by step images
- Heat a pan and dry roast phool makhana/ lotus seeds/ foxnut in low flame until crispy. It should take around 10 to 12 minutes to roast ½ cup of phool makhana./ lotus seeds. Remember roasting is the main part and do not eliminate this process nor speeden up. ( the picture has more qty of phool makhan as I roasted for snacks and chapati together?) When phool makhana looks roasted put off the flame and allow it to cool down. (When you hear a crisp sound while crushing lotus seeds it means they are well roasted)
- Now in a blender add lotus seeds and grind it into fine powder. Keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl add wheat flour, powdered phool makhana, oil and salt.
- Mix well. Add water gradually to form knead a soft dough. I used around 1/3 cup water to knead the dough, if you need little extra water you can add but the end result needs to be a soft and non sticky dough. Kneading soft dough is very important as it yields in super soft roti/ chapati. Keep the dough aside for 15 minutes.
- Now pinch a small portion of dough and roll it into thin and medium sized chapati. Heat a tawa and place the flattened chapati dough on it. Drizzle some oil/ghee around it . When brown spots appear flip it to the other side and cook till done. Transfer it to a plate and serve it hot with any curry/ gravy of your choice!