Palak pulao/Spinach pulao is a green colored delicious and healthy pulao made with simple ingredients in a quick method. Palak pulao as the name goes is prepared by cooking soaked Basmati rice in palak paste which is then garnished and served with fried bread cubes. These fried bread cubes gives this pulao a new flavor and adds to the presentation by complimenting the pulao color too. So if you are looking for a simple, quick yet delicious and healthy one pot meal this recipe could serve your need. So lets get to the making!
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Palak/Spinach – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 2
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Bread – 1
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Palak pulao with step by step images
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- In a blender add palak leaves. Grind it into fine paste adding little water. ( I added around ¼ cup water while grinding)
- In a pan/ kadai add whole spices when aromatic add sliced onion. Saute well.
- When the onions look sauteed add ginger garlic paste. Saute well until the raw flavor of ginger garlic paste goes.
- Now add the palak paste, salt, garam masala powder and coriander powder. Mix and saute well for a minute.
- Now add soaked rice along with water and mix well.Transfer the rice mixture to rice cooker and cook till done.(If using pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles)
- Meanwhile, take a bread slice and cop them cubes using a knife. Add the bread cubes in hot oil and fry them until light brown in medium flame.
- When the bread cubes turn light brown with nice aroma remove the bread cubes and transfer it to a plate with paper towel and keep it aside.
- When the rice looks cooked fluff it gently and add the fried bread pieces and cover it tight. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the rice well and serve it with raita of your choice!