Broccoli peas pulao/ Broccoli rice is a very interesting rice recipe with different combo of veggies prepared in a easy method with all those basic ingredients that a pulao demands. Broccoli pulao is a delicious rice with crunchiness from broccoli and green peas with flavors of mint and whole spices and spiciness from green chilli and peppercorn. This pulao can be served with any spicy curry/ gravy! So lets get to the making!
- Basmati Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Broccoli – 1 small/ 10 florets
- Green peas- ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Green chilli – 2
- Mint – ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Peppercorn – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make broccoli peas pulao with step by step images
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Cut the broccoli florets with stem using a knife and keep it aside. In a bowl of hot water add the broccoli florets and blanch them for a minute. Do not exceed more than a minute as the broccoli needs to be cooked with rice and it will become mushy then, So after a minute drain the water and keep the florets aside.
- Slice onion thin, make a slit in the center of green chilli, wash and chop mint and keep the blanched broccoli ready to cook draining the water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the whole spices when aromatic add sliced onion, green chilli and chopped mint together. Saute well till onions turn light pink and it till mint shrinks in quantity.
- Now when onions look sauteed add ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell flavor goes.
- Now add the blanched broccoli, green peas, salt, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute for a minute.
- Now add the soaked rice along with water and mix well.
- Transfer it to a electric rice cooker and cook till done. (If using pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles) When done allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes then fluff it from the sides gently using a fork/ spatula and serve it hot with raita/ any spicy curry of your choice!