Orange Pulao might sound unique, was it named due to the pulao color? Not at all!
Orange pulao/ Orange pulav is a very flavorful and delicious pulao prepared by cooking seasoned rice in FRESH ORANGE JUICE! Yes it is! Orange pulao might sound gross for a second but you will get to know its yumminess only after tasting it. Orange pulao is super easy to prepare and takes just 5 – 7 minutes of preparation with just few ingredients and once the rice is cooked it is good to go with any spicy side dish. This pulao is one healthy and delish way to add the goodness of orange in our diet and also make use of leftover oranges from fruit tray. My mom makes this orange pulav and many more South Indian dishes since my childhood whenever oranges are unused at home as she is not much into baking. For the below recipe using basmati recipe is mandatory as it enhances the flavor of the rice. If you are looking for a quick yet healthy and tasty rice recipe this should become your handy recipe. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 ( small sized, sliced thin)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Orange – 1 (enough to make 1 cup orange juice)
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Cardamom – 1
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* 1 cup = 160 ml
Hoe to make orange pulao with step by step images
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 20 minutes.
- Wash, cut and squeeze orange juice. We need 1 cup orange juice to make rice so choose the size of the orange accordingly.
- Heat oil in a pan, add whole spices, when aromatic add sliced onion. Saute well until onions turn translucent. Now add ginger garlic paste and salut well till the raw smell goes.
- Now add salt and mix well then add soaked rice, 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup water. Mix well and transfer it to electric rice cooker and cook till done. (If using pressure cooker, put off the flame after 3 whistles)
- When done allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes after which fluff the rice gently from the sides and serve it with side dish of your choice!