Tomato bath is a yummy, spicy and delicious rice recipe hailing from the state of Karnataka. Tomato bath is prepared by cooking rice in tangy and spicy tomato coconut based gravy making it more appetizing to eat. Flavors of mint and whole spices adds to the taste of this dish. This one pot meal requires no side accompany and can be relished just like that just from the pot and comes as a bliss on busy days or when you are in mood to make change in your daily routine. This recipe requires grinding of a paste which is a key substance for its taste. For the below recipe I used regular raw rice which makes it delicious and taste it different from regular pulao and biryani, so if you are planning to make this dish use any short grain rice other than basmati rice. So lets get to the making!
- Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Tomato – 3
- Onion – 1
- Mint – ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – ¼
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients For grinding
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Green chilli – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ¼
- Clove – 1
How to make tomato bath with step by step images
- Wash and soak rice in water for 10 to 20 minutes.
- In a blender add grated coconut, green chilli, clove and cinnamon stick. Grind it into fine paste adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, bay leaf and star anise. When aromatic add mint and thinly sliced onion. Saute well till the mint shrinks in quantity and till onion turn translucent.
- Now add add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and allow the tomatoes to get cooked. We don’t want tomatoes to get mushy.
- When tomatoes look cooked add ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Finally add soaked rice along with water and mix well. (Check for salt) Now transfer the mixture to electric rice cooker and cook till done. (If using pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles)
- When done allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes then fluff it from the sides using a spatula and serve it hot!