Rava kichadi/ Sooji kichadi is a very easy and simple to make breakfast and also healthy start of the day as it is loaded with veggies and taste. Rava kichadi is similar to the preparation of regular rava upma/ sooji upma but is more tastier. This recipe can be served with chutney, sambar or even with sugar. For much tastier version rava kichadi can be prepared with ghee instead of oil and cashews can also be used along with dal. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Rava/ Sooji – 1 ½ cup
- Onion – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Carrot – ¼ cup ( chopped)
- Beans- ¼ cup (chopped ½ inch long)
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make Rava kichadi with step by step images
- Heat a pan and dry roast rava/ sooji in medium flame for a minute. When done transfer it to a bowl. Slice onions thin and make a slit in green chilli.
- Now heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, after it splutters add urad dal and channa dal, when it turns golden brown add curry leaves, sliced onion and green chilli. Saute well.
- Now add chopped carrot, beans, peas, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and saute all the veggies for a minute.
- When the veggies look sauteed add 3 cups water and allow the mixture to boil well so that the veggies get cooked. ( I covered it a lid and cooked)
- When all the veggies look cooked put the flame to low. Add sooji/ rava gradually with continuous stir so that it does not form any lumps. Now put a lid and cook the mixture in low flame for 5 minutes or until done.
- When done put off the flame and serve it hot with chutney and sambar.