Bisi bele bath / Bisibelabath is a delicious and healthy rice recipe hailing from the state of Karnataka is prepared with rice, toor dal and with lot of vegetables. This rice is made flavorful and the unique taste comes by adding bisibelabath powder which is made by grinding select roasted spices. This powder can be prepared at home easily or can be store brought. But I prefer making it at home as it enhances the taste of this rice 100 times more. For the below recipe i have chosen veggies of my choice you can alter it according to your taste. I have added every step in detail as possible as this recipe was asked by my very close friend. So sri lakshmi here goes the recipe. So lets quickly get to the making!
- Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Toor dal – ¾ cup
- Small Onion – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 10 to 12
- Peas – ¼ cup
- Drumstick – 1
- Bisibelabath powder – 1 ½ tbsp (Homemade)
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves a spring
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cashews – 5 ( for ganish)
How to make Bisi bele bath with step by step images
- Wash and soak rice and toor dal for 20 minutes.
- Then cook them in electric cooker or pressure cook it for 4 whistles. Mash the rice toor dal mixture.
- Soak tamarind piece in water and extract tamarind juice.
- Chop carrot, beans, drumstick and onion. Keep the veggies ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel add mustard seeds, after it splutters add curry leaves after it becomes crispy add onions and saute well then add chopped veggies and salt. Mix well and saute them in oil for a minute.
- Add salt to the veggies and water. Mix well and allow the veggies to get cooked. Once the veggies are cooked add tamarind juice and bisibelabath powder to the veggies. Mix well and allow it to boil.
- Then add mashed rice toor dal mixture in it and mix well. Now pour a cup of water to it and mix well. Allow the mixture to boil so that the veggies and rice dal mixture gets blended well. When everything looks combined put off the flame and garnish it with ghee and fried cashew.
- Serve it hot with fryums or chips!
- Soaking rice and dal helps in cooking rice and dal faster.
- Cook rice and dal when you cook veggies. I mean simultaneous work, adding hot rice dal mixture to the veggie mixture results in perfect tasty bisibelabath.